Mariana Smit Vega Garcia, PhD
Analysis, Partial Differential Equations, Geometric Analysis
I was born and raised in Sao Paulo, Brazil, where I obtained my bachelor's and master's in Mathematics at the Universidade de Sao Paulo.
After moving to the US for graduate school I obtained my PhD from Purdue University in 2014 under the guidance of Arshak Petrosyan.
Afterwards, I did a post-doc in Germany (at Heinrich Heine University Dusseldorf and the University of Duisburg-Essen) working with Georg Weiss, and spent two months as a postdoctoral fellow at the Mittag-Leffler Institute in Sweden. In 2016 I returned to the US for a post-doc at UW under the guidance of Tatiana Toro, where I continued working with free boundary problems and expanded my research to geometric measure theory and harmonic analysis.
In my free time, I am most probably found either traveling, taking photos, hiking, watching soccer, reading books, going to the symphony or enjoying good food with friends.
Educational & Professional Experience:
- PhD Purdue University, 2014.
- Wissenschaftliche Mitarbeiterin (post-doc), Heinrich Heine Universität and Universität Duisburg-Essen, 2014-2016.
- Institut Mittag-Leffler Postdoctoral fellow, September-October 2014.
- Acting Assistant Professor, UW, 2016-2018.
- Almost minimizers for the thin obstacle problem with variable coefficients
S. Jeon, A. Petrosyan & M. Smit Vega Garcia
- Regularity for almost-minimizers of variable coefficient Bernoulli-type functionals
G. David, M. Engelstein, M. Smit Vega Garcia & T. Toro
To appear in the Mathematische Zeitschrift
- On a Bernoulli-type overdetermined free boundary problem
M. Akman, A. Banerjee & M. Smit Vega Garcia
To appear in "Annales Academiae Scientiarum Fennicae"
Selected Awards & Honors:
NSF Analysis Standard Grant. Award number 2054282. Title: "Analysis and Geometry of Free Boundaries". Award from 08/15/2021 – 07/31/2024.
Committee for the Education of Teaching Assistants teaching award, Purdue University.
Purdue University Math Department Excellence in Teaching award for 2011-12.
Graduated with honors, Universidade de Sao Paulo, 2006.