Evaluating a Major

You need to have your major evaluated at least one academic quarter before you plan to graduate. The major evaluation is done by your faculty advisor. Once your faculty advisor has approved and signed off on your major evaluation, you submit it to the Registrar along with your Degree Application.

For most of our majors, your faculty advisor is in the Department of Mathematics and will be listed on the Plan of Study you submitted when you declared your major. If you have forgotten who your faculty advisor is, or have difficulty contacting your faculty advisor, please contact the math department office at Math.department@wwu.edu.

For some joint majors with other academic departments your primary faculty advisor is in the other department; the major evaluation process starts in that other department, and it may follow a different process established by that department. A list of those advisors can be found on the Declaring a Major page.

Forms to collect for a B.A. or B.S. Mathematics major

  • Get a copy of the relevant major course requirements through the Course Catalog

  • Get a copy of your student record.

  • If you have any relevant transfer courses, get a copy of your Transfer Equivalency Report (TER).

  • On your student record and on your TER, highlight any courses relevant to the major that you have completed or are currently taking or are currently registered for.

  • Scan the highlighted copies of your student record and TER into pdf document format.

  • Get a pdf copy of your original Major Plan of Study form. If you cannot find a copy of your Plan of Study form, contact the math department office at Math.department@wwu.edu.

  • Fill out the departmental Major Evaluation Form and scan or save it as a pdf. For all other majors, you may either prepare the documents as listed above for the B.A. Mathematics major, or else be ready to provide your faculty advisor access to your DegreeWorks record.

Complete the Evaluation

Email your faculty advisor a cover note, Including a clear plan detailing how you intend to satisfy any outstanding major requirements, together with either

  1. the completed Major Evaluation form and pdf copies of your student record, TER and Major Plan of Study form, if doing the B.A. or B.S. Mathematics major, or else
  2. direct the advisor to your DegreeWorks record.

Your advisor will review your materials and your plan to complete the major requirements, give you advice regarding appropriate courses to take if necessary, and note on the departmental Major Evaluation form or on the DegreeWorks record as appropriate any special circumstances agreed to, such as course substitutions.

Once the major evaluation has been finalized, the advisor will either sign and forward the DegreeWorks record to the Registrar, or sign the Major Evaluation form and send a pdf copy to you. In the latter case you will need to submit the signed Major Evaluation form to the Registrar’s office at DegreeEval@wwu.edu as part of your Degree Application, and keep a copy for your records.

Please Note

It is your responsibility to confirm that your Major Evaluation form or Degreeworks record has reached the Registrar.

You can track the progress of your Degree Application (and your major evaluation as a part of it) through your DegreeWorks page. Find the section titled "Degree Application Status" to see when your Degree Application has been received and completed by the Registrar’s Degree Evaluation Office. You will also be sent an email from the Registrar’s Office with your degree evaluation once it is completed and you are pending for graduation.

To make a course substitution between the time that you submitted the form and graduation, fill out a course substitution form from the Registrar. You need to get the substitution approved and this form signed by your faculty advisor. Email a copy of your major evaluation form and all the materials from the initial major evaluation to your advisor.

General Comments

Satisfying the requirements for completion of a major is distinct from meeting the requirements for a degree. For example, to get a degree from Western you must complete 60 upper division credits (courses numbered 300 or higher); your major alone probably does not require 60 upper division credits. Similarly, Western requires completion of a Writing Proficiency requirement; that requirement can often be met by a course that also meets a major requirement (such as Math 419) but can also be met by courses outside the major (e.g. English 302, Technical Writing).

Courses required for the major have to be passed with a grade of at least C-. In the case of majors in Education, including Math Education, a grade of at least C is required in every course.

For course sequences such as Math 124-125-224-225, successful completion of a higher numbered course in the sequence is deemed to imply satisfactory completion of a lower numbered course for the purposes of meeting the requirements of the major. For example, transfer students who have completed a class deemed equivalent to Math 225 are deemed to have successfully completed Math 224 for the major. Note that you will not get additional course or degree credit for such a lower numbered course unless you actually took that course.