Stephen McDowall, PhD
My hobbies include wood-working, fishing, volleyball, camping, climbing, and hiking.
Educational & Professional Experience:
Completed Bachelor of Science with Honors and Master of Science degrees at the University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand.
Earned my Ph.D. in Mathematics at the University of Washington in 1998.
Since then, I spent three years at the University of Rochester, Rochester, New York; was a research fellow at the Mathematical Sciences Research Institute, Berkeley, CA, for the Fall semester of 2001; and began working at Western in the Winter quarter of 2002. During the Fall of 2005, I took professional leave to be a visiting researcher at the Rolf-Nevanlinna Institute, University of Helsinki, Finland.
(See https://works.bepress.com/stephen_mcdowall/ also. Articles may be downloaded from this link.)
(* = undergraduate, # = M.S.-level graduate student)
- “Predictive modeling of nanoscale domain morthology in solution-processed organic thin films,” C. Schaaf*, M. Jenkins*, R. Morehouse*, D. Stanfield*, S. R. McDowall, B. L. Johnson, D. L. Patrick, Phys. Rev. Mat. 2017, 1(4), 043404, 9 pages. DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevMaterials.1.043404.
- “Analysis of Optical Losses in High-Efficiency CuInS2/CdS Nanocrystal Luminescent Solar Concentrators: Balancing Absorption vs. Scattering,” R. Sumner#, S. Eiselt#, T. B. Kilburn, C. Erickson, B. Carlson#, D. R. Gamelin, S.R. McDowall, D. L. Patrick, Journal of Physical Chemistry C 2017, 121 (6), 3252-3260.
- “Bright CuInS2/CdS Nanocrystal Phosphors for High-Gain Full-Spectrum Luminescent Solar Concentrators,” K. E. Knowles, T. B. Kilburn, D. G. Alzate, S. R. McDowall, D. R. Gamelin, Chem. Commun. 2015, DOI: 10.1039/C5CC02007G.
- “Nanocrystals for Luminescent Solar Concentrators,” L. R. Bradshaw, K. Knowles, S. R. McDowall, D. R. Gamelin, Nano Letters 2015, 15, 1315—1323.
- “Zero-Reabsorption Doped-Nanocrystal Luminescent Solar Concentrators”, C. S. Erickson#, L. R. Bradshaw, S. McDowall, J. D. Gilbertson, D. R. Gamelin, D. L. Patrick, ACS Nano 2014, 8, 3461.
- “Sterically Engineered Perylene Dyes for High Efficiency Oriented Fluorophore Luminescent Solar Concentrators”, W. Benjamin, D. Veit, M. Perkins, E. Bain, K. Scharnhorst, S. R. McDowall, D. Patrick, J. Gilbertson, Chem. Mater. 2014, 26(3), 1291—1293.
- “Comprehensive analysis of escape-cone losses from luminescent waveguides”, S. McDowall, T. Butler,# E. Bain,* K. Scharnhorst,* and D. L. Patrick, Appl. Opt., 2013. 52, 1230.
- “Simulations of Luminescent Solar Concentrators: Effects of Polarization and Fluorophore Alignment”, S. McDowall, B. L. Johnson, D. L. Patrick, J. Appl. Phys., 2010, 108, 053508.